Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs
This recipe makes 18-20 meatballs. Each serving is only 2-3 so I recommend freezing any that are not needed for the current meal. Simply wrap each one in a piece of foil and then put all into a freezer safe Ziploc bag.
1 1/2 pounds hamburger
1 pound sausage, mild or spicy depending on flavor desired
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp basil
8 ounce container mozzarella balls
1. Combine all ingredients except mozzarella in a large shallow bowl. Mix well until meats well blended and holding itself together.
2. Pull off the meat mixture in a clump slightly smaller than a golf ball. Continue to work the meat mixture so that it is very well blended. Push the meat slightly flat, add a mozzarella ball, then work the meat back around the mozzarella so it is not visible. Repeat until all meat is used up.
3. Meatballs will be about the size of a golf ball once the mozzarella is added.
4. Spray a large skillet or frying pan with non stock spray or use about a tbsp olive oil to coat. Over medium heat, add the meatballs once the pan is warm. Cover the pan and cook for 10-15 minutes, turning the meatballs regularly. The mozzarella will start to ooze from from the meatballs as they are done.
5. Serve over spaghetti with tomato sauce and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. (2 to 3 meatballs per serving are plenty) You can use jar tomato sauce or try this Homemade Tomato Sauce.
TIP: If using jar sauce, begin it warming in a 2.5 quart pot before you start cooking the pasta and meatballs. Start the pasta cooking at about the same time as the meatballs. The pasta will be ready a few minutes before the meatballs. Drain the pasta and add the noodles to the pot of sauce to soak in the flavor even more.